Help save some of Royal Brompton’s most vital, life-saving heart and lung disease services.
What services are under threat?
A range of Royal Brompton’s heart and lung services caring for over 14,000 patients might be stopped, including:
- Congenital heart disease (child and adult)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Children’s intensive care
- Children’s cystic fibrosis (largest centre in the country)
- Children’s difficult asthma (largest centre in the country)
- Cardiac care in pregnancy
Why are these services under threat?
NHS England managers want to stop Royal Brompton’s congenital heart disease (CHD) service. This is because certain additional services occasionally needed by young CHD patients – such as specialist stomach or kidney expertise – are not permanently based at the hospital.
Royal Brompton still makes sure all patients receive these additional services whenever they are needed – day or night – by working in partnership with neighbouring Chelsea & Westminster hospital. This partnership has helped the CHD service become one of the best in the country.
However, NHS England managers still plan to stop the service. And due to the way different services are linked, a number of connected heart and lung services at the hospital (all those listed above and more) would be forced to stop with it.
Why are we opposed to these changes?
- NHS England managers can’t say how this plan will make things better for patients
- This plan would decimate Royal Brompton’s world-leading heart and lung research unit
- This plan is only supposed to be for CHD – but will actually affect thousands of people with other lung and heart conditions.
- NHS England managers can’t say else where the 14,000 affected patients will be treated instead.
- NHS England can’t say how much their plans will cost the NHS and taxpayer.
How you can help
- Make sure our MPs fight for us in parliament. You can find more information about how to write to your MP here
- Take to the streets to protest
- Spread the word – make sure everyone knows about this outrage, and ask friends and family to join the campaign
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and share our content with the hashtag #BromptonPatientsMatter
- Show your support with a badge or sticker – available from the Charity Hub and Brompton Flowers near the Sydney wing main entrance of Royal Brompton Hospital, and at the Friends of Royal Brompton Shop near Fulham wing